Background: Hypertension, also known as high blood pressure is a disease that occurs when the pressure of the blood pumping through the arteries is too strong. High blood pressure affects nearly 75 million Americans, including children and teens. Individuals may have hypertension for several years without signs or symptoms. If detected and treated early illnesses such as stroke, heart disease, heart attack, or heart failures may be prevented.
Tips to limit or prevent hypertension:
- Visit your doctor for regular check ups
- Monitor your blood pressure regularly
- Eat healthier and decrease your sodium intake
- Exercise regularly and manage your level of stress
Background: Sleep is a natural periodic state of rest for the mind and body, in which the eyes usually close and consciousness is completely or partially lost, so that there is a decrease in bodily movement and responsiveness to external stimuli. Sleep is an essential part of our everyday lives. The advantages of a good night rest entails the ability to receive and retain information whereas the disadvantages include drowsiness and limits the ability to learn effectively. In order to obtain a good night rest or overall sleep better, it has been reported that the average adult should receive 8 hours of sleep per night. Due to the fact, that 8 hours of sleep allows your mind and body to revitalize.
Below are 5 suggestions for a better night sleep:
- Set a sleep schedule, and be consistent
- Exercise daily
- Avoid electronics and choose a calming activity to wind down such as reading
- Place a pillow in between your legs if you suffer from back pain
- Avoid heavy meals prior to sleeping